Your search results

Becoming a landlord

If you are thinking of becoming a landlord, or have already had experience with letting, this guide will help you understand some of the processes and obligations involved.

Preparing to let

Consents and notifications

You will need to start by notifying your mortgage provider (if you have an existing mortgage), and your Leaseholder (if appropriate) to obtain consent to let. Insurance providers also need to be notified to change the level of cover provided.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

Make sure you have an EPC for a property before you rent. From 1st April 2018, a property must have a minimum rating of E on its EPC or it will be unlawful to rent. Any property which breaches this requirement could be given a penalty of up to £4,000.

Safety certification

Obtain safety certificates for gas, electrical, oil and solid fuel, appliances and heating systems.

Maintenance checks

Carry out all necessary repairs and ensure anything potentially dangerous is removed.


Decide what furniture and fittings you are leaving; we don’t advise leaving bedding, televisions, DVD players and anything of personal value. Ensure all furnishings to be left comply with fire regulations.

Clean & Tidy

Ensure the property is cleaned to the standard you would expect if you were moving in. Get the garden neat and tidy. If a property looks like it is well maintained the tenant is more likely to look after it during the tenancy.

Finding and managing a tenant

Management level

Think about your options for finding and managing a tenant. Reeds Rains offers a range of services which you can find out about here. Whoever you choose should offer access to an approved scheme for holding tenants’ deposits for the duration of a tenancy.

New occupant notifications

It is your responsibility to inform all the utilities companies, including the telephone line supplier, of change of occupancy. It will help if you have recorded the last set of meter readings. It’s also worth arranging redirection of your mail via the post office.

Protecting your property and your tenancy

You can protect your property and your income with specialist products:

Rent protection & legal expenses insurance

  • Fully Managed or Rent Collection Landlord Service Customers

Reeds Rains Limited is an Appointed Representative of PRIMIS Mortgage Network, a trading name of First Complete Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for the provision of Rent Protection and Legal Expenses Insurance only. 

  • Tenant Find Landlord Service Customers

Reeds Rains Limited is an introducer to Reeds Rains Insurance Services for rent protection and legal expenses insurance. Reeds Rains Limited is a trading name of First2Protect Limited, an Appointed Representative of PRIMIS Mortgage network, a trading name of First Complete Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Find out more about Rent protection & legal expenses insurance

Other landlord insurance services

  • Landlord property insurance 
  • Landlords portfolio insurance
  • Landlords home emergency cover

Find out more about these landlord services

Reeds Rains Insurance Services is a trading name of First2protect Limited an Appointed Representative of PRIMIS Mortgage Network a trading name of First Complete Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Landlords who live abroad

Tax implications differ for landlords who are non-UK residents. You must apply to the Inland Revenue for non-Resident Landlord status. Our lettings consultants can advise you about being a non-Resident Landlord and you can find more details in our Overseas Landlord section. Our Fully Managed Service will help to ensure it is hassle-free for you.

^Calls may be recorded and/or monitored for training and/or data protection purposes.

Compare Listings